Curious about how I coach the American accent? Have a listen to this episode, which is an interview and mini accent-coaching session with Alistair Nwachukwu. Alistair is a UK-based actor and a recent LAMDA graduate who has been working with me on voice, acting and accents privately for some time. In this episode, we talk about his process for learning the American accent. Themes that come up are:
- Learning an accent is like learning a dance. You have to learn the steps first. We talk through what those steps are
- Alistair talks about his process for approaching accents, which includes getting curious about environment, cultural context, phonetics and physicality
- The intersections between accent work, character work and voice work
- I coach Alistair through the physicality of the accent to find more accuracy using his understanding of anatomy and character.
- the importance of vocal intention to finding the resonance of the accent
Have a listen and see what you think! In addition to in-person coaching, I also have a digital American accent course that’s specifically designed for UK-based actors (which also comes with a live coaching component). It covers all of the material Alistair and I discuss and allows you to learn the accent in your own time. You can find out more about it here.