Public Speaking Coaching
Voicing what matters when public speaking in-person or virtually is a big deal, whether in an interview, a meeting of five or in front of a large audience. It’s completely human to feel charged or nervous energy around even the thought of speaking publicly. If we don’t know how to handle this charged energy, it can overwhelm us and take us into survival program states of Fight/Flight or Freeze— making it difficult to communicate. Perhaps you experience difficulties breathing, physical tension, difficulties seeing or hearing, or have trouble pacing your speech or getting your voice to carry or express how you feel about what you’re saying. Or perhaps you numb out and feel disconnected from your message or your audience.
As a public speaking coach, I help you create some initial conditions for yourself that allow you to turn any “charge” around public speaking into what fuels you to speak. We explore presence and mindfulness work, body language, breathing and voice techniques that allow your full self to come to the table.
Who is Public Speaking Coaching For?
Anyone who would like to connect more to themselves and their audiences as a public speaker and who uses their voice as an instrument to ‘voice what matters’ in-person or virtually, whether in more formal presentation settings, lectures, TV or radio broadcasts, meetings, interviews or in important professional or personal conversations. I have worked with business professionals, lawyers, doctors, activists, teachers, diplomats, broadcasters and podcasters. Public Speaking coaching can include:
- Body language awareness and how to use body language to feel more grounded, present, congruent with your message and connected with your audience
- Breathing and voice techniques that ground you and offer you more vocal power and variety
- Tools for managing nerves
- Techniques for becoming a better listener, even as you are presenting
- Tools for working with visual aids in a way that supports your connection to your audience
- Techniques for working on camera and with mics
- Tools for using notes in a way that supports your connection to your audience
- Rehearsal techniques that help you simultaneously feel prepared and show up authentically in the moment
I offer virtual and in-person private sessions, group classes and workshops. Please be in touch if you’d like more information or to book a session.
To get a flavor of my public speaking coaching, check out some of my YouTube videos, which cover tips on a variety of public speaking topics, including: what do you when nerves cause your voice to shake, how to use eye contact effectively, how to reduce filler sounds like “um” in your speech, how to use notes effectively , how to rehearse presentations effectively and how to listen more effectively while presenting.